Monday, October 20, 2008

Get Out The Map*

...to our new future! Early voting has begun in my state. The rubber now meets the road. The voters we registered until midnight two weeks ago are now the people we must get to the polls. I've been humming the Indigo Girls tune* since that night I stood waving "LAST DAY TO REGISTER" signs in the middle of a busy Austin intersection. Even that night, as we celebrated the record number of new registrations...we all knew: It's not the registration, it's the vote that matters. Turn up your speakers. Hit the play button on the Indigo Girls below, and sing out! The new words are mine (apologies to Amy Ray and Emily Saliers). Hum the refrain every day until November 4. And do your part to Get Out The Vote! The saddest sight my eyes can see Is that big ball of red growing sea to shining sea Sitting in red state thinkin’ my vote is not the key This perfect moment will soon be leaving me Barbie calls from Denver the race is hot the polls are high And that same list that warms our hearts can leave us high and dry Everything we’ve learned before is enough to keep us cryin' Or make us more determined to take this contest to the wire Get out the vote Get out the vote And let this hope stand big on solid ground We'll leave the wonderin’ to those who say nothin’ new can be found Don't drink the water Complacency seems to be ailing everyone I'm gonna grab my card I'm gonna stand in line I'm gonna vote for something new With this vote that’s clearly mine! Clinton left the Big White House a few years ago Then that Texan took the job and it is time for him to go And us - we’re still trying to live a good life with this load That’s heavier by the year And crazier than we know. Why do we let ourselves believe that our voices have no place I must say around some corner I can sense a resting place With every lesson learned a line upon your beautiful face (this line is too cool to change) We'll amuse ourselves one day with the history we’ve aced!! Get out the vote Get out the vote And let this hope stand big on solid ground We'll leave the wonderin’ to those who say nothin’ new can be found Don't drink the water Complacency seems to be ailing everyone I'm gonna grab my card I'm gonna stand in line I'm gonna vote for something new With this vote that’s clearly mine! I'm gonna grab my card I'm gonna stand in line I'm gonna vote for something new With this vote that’s clearly mine! YeeHa! Peace.

No comments:

Blog Archive