Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Adios Senor Presidente

I realize I'm thinking ahead a week...but the website I use to contact my elected representatives has invited me to send a farewell message to the president. So I've been pondering it all morning...wishing I had a vocabulary of colorful words in several foreign languages to sprinkle into my goodbye to George W. Bush. Because the words I have in English are just not working for me today. I do like Rachel Maddow's quackitude. Still on my mind, of course, is the late night re-hash of Bush's last news conference yesterday. The one during which he said not finding weapons of mass destruction in Iraq was a "significant disappointment." Does that sound utterly stupid to anyone else? A "significant disappointment" to find out Sadaam Hussein was NOT about to send a nuke wired briefcase into downtown Chicago on the arm of a religious extremist? (Oh, sorry, I'm mixing my threats to humanity. Nukes = Sadaam. Religious extremists = bin Laden. Misguided cluelessness = Bush.) Of course, the no WMD discovery was only a disappointment to George Bush because he is missing the "I'm sorry" gene from his DNA. He seems completely incapable of forming phrases like "we screwed up" or "that was a misstep" or "I acted on the wrong advice." Instead all we hear from him is quackitude. Self-serving, truth-twisted, asininely arrogant quackitude. It's the same on the subject of post-New Orleans Katrina. Torture at AbuGhraib and Gitmo. The war dead in Iraq. The unemployment rate. The crisis on Wall Street. He just did nothing wrong in 8 years. Nothing. Swirling around in the can't-get-it-out-of-my-mind portion of my brain today are fresh images of people begging for water and shelter in New Orleans...US military personnel drowning a prisoner at Gitmo...and this - a photo that cost its photographer her job in 2004... How much of this might have been avoided if George W. Bush had ever learned to say "I was wrong?" Here's my farewell. Dear Mr. President, It takes a man of character to admit his mistakes. Great strength and grace are revealed when a man is willing to say "I'm sorry" as the whole world watches. Gifted intelligence and unwavering courage are at the core of a man who takes the first step past "I was wrong" onto the path of "let's make it right." I regret you are not this man. We have lost much to your arrogance in eight years. Adios.

4 comments:

Gay said...

Rachel's good-bye is perfect. Thank you for sharing it with us. As for me, So long, farewell, we are glad to see you go...

Mama de la Paz said...

This is actually MY farewell to W...all that was borrowed from Rachel Maddow was the great word: quackitude! Thanks for reading, Gay!

Mama de la Paz said...

Oh, and thanks to Pink for the song. Wow, huh?

Gay said...

My age must be showing - the song I was quoting is from The Sound of Music. I do know who Pink is, but don't know her music.

Sorry, I should have known that was your writing.