Thursday, August 27, 2009

Best Job Ever

Twenty-six years ago today, I was in a birthing room in Plano, Texas taking my first "paycheck" for the most life-changing job of all time - motherhood.
Payday! 8/27/1983
This is my oldest son. He was born at 3:22 AM on August 27, 1983. Labor was 30 hours, delivery was heroic on everyone's part, and the first few days were exactly what they are for all parents new to the job - delightfully harrowing. At so many levels, the work has nearly ruined me. At so many more, it's made me the human being I was meant to be. I don't think I'd be over-dramatizing things if I said I've spent the last 9,490 days of my life doing all I could to stay a half-step ahead of action items handed to me directly from the boss (I don't have to tell you who that is). Some days I've fallen behind...and on the days I've celebrated getting ahead, I've usually awakened the next morning to the truth that getting ahead in this business is just an illusion that is allowed to keep us from driving our cars into the river. Don't apply if you've got the tiniest urge to become a successful Type A CEO. Or a reclusive mystic. And don't be thinking you'll make a Woman of the Year cover story for TIME magazine, either. Unfortunately, the rewards for we mothers of the world's most beautiful and bright (every mother's child) are not that public. They come instead on quiet mornings in rocking chairs by windows, on back porches with melting red popsicles dripping on our legs, at piano recitals and basketball games and meet-the-teacher nights; as our little projects learn to walk, then run, then fly away from the nests we've built and re-built and protected from predators. A very wise woman told me years ago that the best mothers work themselves out of a job. I have come to understand her wisdom in the physical sense...I no longer wash this child's clothes or pack his lunches or even pay his bills. But in matters of the heart, my friend was wrong. A mother's job of hoping, dreaming, encouraging, loving is never done. In every way imaginable, motherhood has been - and still is - the most demanding and frustrating and rewarding career of any I have pursued. I will be forever grateful for the opportunity I've had to be a mother...best job ever!
Still payday! 8/1/2009
Happy Birthday, Austin!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written, Mama!

Anonymous said...

Nobody could have done it better.

- DC

Cheryl D in Louisville said...

Recently discovered your blog and LOVE it! Thanks for sharing your journey in such a beautiful way! I also just realized from some of your posts that your dear friends, Joe & Terri, are also our dear friends and amazing pastor.

Peace to you!

Mama de la Paz said...

Thanks for reading, Cheryl! Sounds like our paths already twist together in the best ways...

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Austin!
Happy Mother's Day sweet sister!
So thankful for all the roads you traveled and the guidebook of wisdom you have shared with me and continue to share with me in this never dull journey of motherhood.
<3 sooz