Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Who's Oldest?

I had imagined I'd wax nostalgically and eloquently here today about the men who defined my generation's music scene: Bob Dylan, John Mellencamp, and Willie Nelson. I went to see the Trifecta of Music History last night, the happy guest of a generous friend who'd snagged tickets to the sold out Summer '09 Ballpark Tour. I will skip the erudite nuances noticed only by those who review music for a living and say simply - it was awesome. I will also say I'd have enjoyed it more if I hadn't been mad about my camera. "Sorry ma'am, you can't take this in," is what the purse-checker at the gate told me. "Are you kidding me?" I said, wondering if he'd refused every person carrying an iPhone. "No. You can't bring it in." So, in spite of the fact that Willie was already playing and my car was parked a 100-degree mile from the ballpark entrance - I trudged back to my car to ditch the illegal Panasonic point-and-shoot. I did entertain the idea of stuffing the camera under my shirt and waiting five minutes before heading back to the gate. But only briefly. I am the cursed rule follower known as the oldest child. We are compulsive rule followers, in case you hadn't noticed. And we'd really like it if the rest of you followed the rules, too. We feel so stupid when you don't. Before you write every oldest child you know off as a curmudgeonly old beast who can't have any fun, let me defend our post with statistics from Dr. Keven Leman, who wrote The Birth Order Book - Why You Are The Way You Are:

Of the first 23 astronauts to blast off into space, 21 were first born children. The other two were only children.

In the last election, of the 11 people who wanted to be President of the United States, eight of the 11 were first-born sons or first-born daughters in their family or only children.

First borns tend to rule a little bit. They’re the movers and shakers of life and they lead everything from the PTA to the U.S. Presidency.

So we have our place in the world. But we have no pictures of Willie, John, and Bob - even if we're only 50 yards away from the stage. Here's all I got last night:
(That's the stage Willie is playing on on the far right...)
Yes - once inside the gate, I saw that every third person there had a camera. They were not oldest children. Here's what they got: I actually had to pirate this photo from the daily newspaper, so I won't be posting it on facebook - even though I'd like to. There are copyright laws, you know... So if you have a friend with a picture from last night's concert in Round Rock, Texas - I'm betting he/she is not an oldest child. Please ask him/her to send me a copy of their best shot. It will help me make peace with my inner oldest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only do you follow the rules, but YOU RULE when it comes to writing, observing, abiding, describing, taking us with you on your life journey. I LOVE your blog.

Shaye said...

Another first-born, rule-following, peace-loving blogger--it's so good to find a kindred spirit. Love your blog. I added you to my "blogs I follow" list at mine.