Wednesday, September 23, 2009

365 Days

By the time Julie Powell of Julie and Julia fame landed on the first anniversary of the start of her blog, she had 403 regular readers and a book deal. She had also cooked through Julia Childs' Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Impressive. I began this blog last year on September 23, motivated by an urge to write and a passion to participate in the campaign to elect Barack Obama. 41 days later, the election was won. Also impressive, America. I kept writing. I am now 168 posts into this blogging thing. Thinking in Peaces has one anonymous "follower" and five regular readers who signed up to receive email copies of each post (up from three when I began!). Google Analytics - added here a couple of months ago just to make me feel better - shows readership is growing ever-so-slightly, with over 200 readers and an average of 500-600 site visits a month. Still...I'm a long way from setting the world ablaze. I am opening my own eyes a little wider to the world every day. I rarely read a piece of news that I let go of without reminding myself there are people just like me affected by the stories, whether it be a war or a water shortage, the death of a baby or the birth of a movement. Every other day or so, I put my thoughts about that here. Thank you for indulging me with your reading. A writer receives no greater compliment than the time given by a reader to share the experience. When I began here, I told friends the blogging was simply an exercise - a writer's warm up. As I review the year I see it was more like a wake up than a warm up - a wake up to the truth that I am one tiny voice in the great wide open....and that I matter. As do you, my friends. Let there be peace on earth. Let it begin with us...thinking together. Hmmmm. Peace.

4 comments:

john langford said...

congratulations jan! keep up the good work!

Darlene Hello said...

We are all blessed that you chose to share your thoughts and writing talent with the world. Your words challenge, inspire, endict, and energize me. Please keep us thinking, talking, and planning for peace for many days to come.

John Doherty said...

I always enjoy reading, Jan. Keep going.

gay said...

We thank you for writing - always thoughtful.