Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Fighting Weariness

About a year ago, a good friend unintentionally lit a roaring fire beneath my political leanings with this comment: "I like Barack Obama, but I don't believe this country will elect a black president." Before the month was out I was deputized to register new voters, had attended an all-day Saturday volunteer training, and was signing up for door-to-door work in a nearby swing state to spread the good words of "hope" and "change" in America. I also began this blog. There were days along the way - many of them - when I thought I could not bear the words of one more pundit, the numbers from one more poll, or the cheers heard at one more rally featuring the folksy misstatements of Sarah Palin. I am fighting that weariness again. The campaign, this time, is for health care reform. I intend to be tireless on the subject. I plan to remain accurately informed on proposals my elected representatives are considering. I resolve to resist the call of the careless who want me to fear change. I stand by the words "yes we can" - which last year included a bold and well articulated plan for an accessible health care system. Yes we can. Yes we should. Yes we will.
"We provide world-class health care to a certain segment of our population who has insurance and at the same time we make other people go through bankruptcy to get the care they need." - Roy Farrell, MD, past-president of Physicians for Social Responsibility
"We are the only nation on earth that barters human life for money.” - Geri Jenkins, RN, co-president of America’s largest nurses’ union, the California Nurses Association/National Nurses Organizing Committee
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." - Apostle Paul in his letter to the people of Galatia
Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is so easy to give up...to turn away...to forget about it...and so hard to keep up the fight. That's why a few blustering miscreants can derail the body politic. Thanks for the reminder that the race goes to the finishers.

- DC