Monday, October 5, 2009

C'mon People Now...

Love is but a song we sing. And fear's the way we die. I know if I can sing the words to this song, I must be an old hippie (you are too) - but surely there is a load of truth to be heard in every generation's ears in those two simple lines, sung by the Youngbloods in the late 1960s. Fear's the way we die. That's the one that really gets me. Because it's true. Our bodies respond to the way we think, feel, and act. It's often called the "mind/body connection" and it's a medical fact of life. High blood pressure, chronic digestive upsets, lowered immunities - these are the lesser evils of the body's response to fear, anxiety, grief, and anger. I only mention it because bumper stickers are affecting my good health. Does it make folks feel better to put rude slogans on their cars? Is it empowering in some way to display an angry opinion and drive on? Is there anything more to be accomplished by this behavior than some version of a passive-aggressive middle finger in the air? Are you daring me to ram my car into yours? Here are a few back-bumper-wisdoms gnawing at me from the road this week: Here's what bothered me most about that one. This was on the other side of the bumper: I know there are some nasty ones from the thinkers who dig in the other field of thought. I see those too, and - yes - they make me bite my nails, too: What is up with us? Who goes first in the effort to make bumper sticker peace...you or me? Can we begin to imagine peace on this Earth if we can't even leave our hatefulness rolled up behind our car windows? How 'bout we all order one sticker and be done with it... C'mon people now, smile on your brother (and sister!) Everybody get together Try to love one another... Right now. If not for peace on Earth, why not for our good health? Peace.

1 comment:

john langford said...

You hit this one out of the park Jan. Wise words. Well done. Peace.