Saturday, October 31, 2009

Stepping Out

According to Google Analytics linked to this site...which I endearingly refer to as my Google Voodoo because it seems like magic every time I log on and find pie charts and graphs telling me more than I can possibly understand about visitors to Thinking in Peaces...about 600 of you honor me with a read of these ramblings every month.  So it seems I should post a preemptive apology.

I will not be writing here in November...although I will be writing.  Like a fiend.

I have accepted the annual challenge from NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writers Month) to finish 50,000 coherent words between midnight tonight and midnight on November 30. 



Writers from 90 countries step up to the plate every November, ready to take a swing at the story burning within.  There is no prize for finishing - and only 18% of the 100,000+ folks who commit actually do - it's just a deadline.  And most of us need a deadline.

I've started writing no less than a dozen books in my life.  I figure it's time to get past page 25.  So...off I go, into the great wide open - now 12 hours 'til the kick off, and still unsure exactly which story I'll pull out of the shadows of my imagination.  Will it be the Martini Chronicles?  the Letters from Africa?  the Neighborhood Mosaic?  the Organic Mixed Nuts?  the Bracelet?  Or will something entirely new pop from brain to page over the next 30 days?

I'm excited and afraid.

Strategy #1 for completion, say the experienced NaNos, is to tell all your friends you're writing a novel in November.  So...here it is friends.  Feel free to hold me accountable.

I'll be posting one sentence from the writing every day at my other blog, Just Six Journal.  So reset your bookmarks, and take a peek from time to time.  I'll also let you know how I'm doing on word count each day - to stay on target, I'll need to write 1667 words a day!

Gulp. 

Of course I won't stop thinking about this big ol' goofy world we live in every day - that thinking is likely to emerge somewhere in a character that shows up at my desk in November.  I only hope he/she isn't too boring...

Thanks for the encouragement - which is the time you take to read here.  I'll be back in December.

Peace all. 

3 comments:

jo ann said...

ah--you go girl--I KNOW you can do it! Will miss your postings, but look forward to the brilliant story at the end!

info said...

Congratulations on this next exciting step in November!

Please say you'll do an entry when Obama makes his decision on Afghanistan. Pretty please?

Mama de la Paz said...

As evidenced by today...some milestones are too big to let pass without commentary. A decision on the chaos in Afghanistan is likely to be one of those days. Thanks for reading.