Saturday, October 24, 2009

"Young" Inter-Nut Genius

...that's me.

At the end of most days, I find myself wondering if I forget things because I have crammed so much information into my head in one day, or if I forget things because the electrical depolarization of the membrane around a handful of my presynaptic cells has gone awry.

Wow! It's startling to me how quickly I can sound brilliant on any given subject...like the synaptic processes in the brain. You should be afraid.

And encouraged.

According to a new study discussed last week in Chicago at a meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, I'm keeping my brain young when I engage in the curious exploration of a topic on the internet. Yep, the "use it or lose it" thinking behind brain functionality has gone high tech. It's not the crossword puzzle keeping old brains firing anymore - it's the internet. Scientists have hooked "old people" (55-78...gulp) up to MRIs and put them in front of computers to prove the theory: Web Surf to Save Your Aging Brain.

Since I spend no small amount of time each day surfing the web for information about everything from: the current time in Asse, Belgium; the current mood of women in Afghanistan; the best recipe for gumbo, I am thrilled to run across this research (online, of course).

Now I can worry about wrinkles instead of dementia...

So surf on, friends. It's good for the brain.

But, make sure you step away from the desk from time to time to blink and breathe and discuss your online discoveries with a real human being. Surely time face-to-face, idea-to-idea, laugh-to-laugh, hand-on-hand with another person is still the delight of being human...and, the real key to aging with grace.


Peace.

1 comment:

gay said...

It makes me feel good to know time spent on the internet is good for the mind - and you shared the real "secret" of aging with grace.