Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Apologize

A couple of days ago, my husband hurt my feelings.  He didn't mean to, but he did.  I pouted.  He tried to defend himself.  I pouted some more. What I wanted was not to be told how I misinterpreted his actions.  What I wanted was to hear from him that he was sorry I was hurt.  Once I knew that, I could begin to hear his line of reasoning.

But not before the apology. 

And so it is with Sarah Palin.

Have you seen her video response to Saturday's melee in Tucson, posted this morning on her facebook page? Nothing reconciling, bridge building, or even almost resembling an "I'm sorry" approach to people in America who are in a fizz over her political rhetoric. 

It is, instead, 7-minutes and 43 seconds of, "don't blame me."

And I don't blame her.  Clearly the majority of people in this country do not believe targets on maps or "reload" references or the sic 'em attitude that Ms. Palin is so famous for actually mean the woman wants anyone to become a murderer.  Surely, surely, surely we would have called that out as utter insanity months ago if we'd really believed she meant for us to take a literal view of her metaphoric presentations. 

Even so, we are hurting.  We Americans don't want to believe things like what happened last weekend are really possible in our cities.  These are stories we expect out of Baghdad or Kabul, not Tucson, Arizona.

So I don't believe it would have been too much to ask Ms. Palin for something like: "I'm sorry for anything I have said or done that would lead people to believe I am a fan of violence." Followed perhaps by a clearly stated, "I am not."

It's what loving people do.  They feel sorry when there's a misunderstanding that has boiled over into blaming and outrage.  They long for a field of compromise that will allow for gentle words and new feelings.

It's not just what loving people do.  It's what smart people do.

And once again, Sarah Palin misses the boat.  Here's some of what she said:
Vigorous and spirited public debates during elections are among our most cherished traditions...When we "take up our arms," we're talking about our vote.
So, I believe I will continue to turn my back on her reasoning.

Apologize first. 

Peace.

No comments: