Monday, May 2, 2011

Ding Dong the....I'm Confused


 I am longing for a circle of wisdom tonight to help me sort through the questions that have distracted me all day.  I open the conversation with this...

Are we the good guys or the bad guys?


Are images of Americans cheering a political assassination something to be proud of as those photos fly from twitter to facebook to blog around the world?


Are comments like...
"A Victory for America" - George W. Bush
"Justice has been done." - House Majority Leader Eric Cantor
"Welcome to Hell bin Laden." - Mike Huckabee
...really appropriate today?

Are the Christians in this "Christian nation" wondering, like I am, what Jesus would do?  He is, after all, the reported author/Divine speaker of these words:  
You have heard it said, 'an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say, do not resist an evil person! If someone slaps you on the right cheek, offer the other cheek also. If you are sued in court and your shirt is taken from you, give your coat, too. (Matt. 5:38-40)
And these:
Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke6:31)

Has anyone who declared today, "Justice has finally been served!" ever quoted Mahatma Gandhi?
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. 

Is there a better way to fight evil in the world than shooting it in the head twice and dumping it in the sea?

 
Here's what a pastor friend of mine in College Station put on his church's sign today:  


HATE CANNOT DRIVE OUT HATE
ONLY LOVE CAN DO THAT
-Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr

And I'm wondering what that would look like in the real world...would Navy SEALS be involved?

Anyone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are the same questions I ask myself. When did God give us the right to vengeance? And what about "resist not evil"...because someone said "What you resist, persists".

Pixie Mom said...

Perhaps not a popular statement in America today, but I think an appropriate response:

http://cnsblog.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/vatican-spokesman-on-killing-of-osama-bin-laden/

audrey said...

You're right. I first heard the news last night while sitting at the dinner table across the street. My first feelings were of liberal-bliss. I rejoiced that Obama was able to do something that Bush could not. But, as today has progressed and I have seen the reaction of people across the country and the world I too found the same words of MLK thought provoking.

The entire paragraph: ‎"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."

Agreed.

Anonymous said...

So we just accomplished a major national security objective…and as a result the State Department issues an international travel advisory. It seems to me that meeting national security objectives should make it safer for us to walk the streets of the world.

To quote the Quakers from their website today “While many people in the United States may feel closure or vindication in the death of the man who claimed to be the intellectual author of September 11 attacks, for many others it is a failure of imagination and political will that we answer violence with more violence.”

http://www.capwiz.com/fconl/issues/alert/?alertid=44473501&type=CO

- DC